Wednesday, October 27, 2010

22. Nomads

Nomads
John McTiernan, 1986

A young doctor (Lesley-Anne Down)receives the memories of a dead anthropologist (Pierce Brosnan), who spent the last week of his life investigating a family of evil, nomadic spirits.

Not great, but oddly memorable - and a breath of fresh air after the crap I've been wading through lately. Once you get past the opening scenes, Down is just terrible, and it's hard to believe that anyone though it was okay to let Brosnan try that French accent. Beyond that, the movie just reeks of the 80's, for better or worse. There's just something about it, though. The core idea is a strong one, and casting the evil spirits as a sort of modern(ish) counterculture merged the supernatural and the natural in an unsettling way. A couple of sequences (Brosnan's first pursuit of the nomads; his encounter with the nun) just creep the hell out of me. I'm not sure if I can really call it a success (although numerically, I'm rating it like one), but I came away somewhat pleased, and may revisit it in the future.

6.5/10

No comments: