Friday, October 15, 2010

2010 Haunt Reviews: The Asylum

The Asylum
11425 Community Center Drive
Northglenn, CO

I love the Asylum. Year after year, they never let me down. I think there's a very simple reason for that. In one word: Performance. At the Asylum, they are by necessity unable to put on the sort of grandiose show in terms of props and sets that you'd see at, say, Frightmare or City of the Dead. It is, after all, a tent in the parking lot of the Boondocks Fun Center. They deal with this by keeping the sets dark and relatively simple, then populating them with what is probably the best set of haunt actors in the state. They consistently managed to find the sweet spot between jumping out of the shadows and growling (scary, but shallow) and playing characters (not so scary, but more interesting), giving us the best aspects of both. My only disappointment with the haunt was that, unlike the other years that I've attended, there wasn't one notably clever bit that stuck with me afterward - but the entire haunt was so solid, it isn't really an issue.

9/10.

No comments: