Sunday, October 24, 2010

16. Paranormal Activity

Paranormal Activity
Oren Peli, 2009

A young couple is terrorized by a demon, and catches it all on tape.

Not the scariest movie of all time, as some would have you believe, nor an utter travesty, as its detractors would claim, Paranormal Activity is a small, unambitious, but mostly successful movie that managed to put me just enough on edge that the slower segments weren't boring. I can't say that the conceit of shooting the whole movie with cameras held by the characters really added anything to it for me, but it didn't really hurt it. Despite the fact that many consider this to be a plotless, arcless thrill ride, I've actually found that the characters and their reactions to things have stuck with me more than anything else.

7.5/10

No comments: