Saturday, October 30, 2010

2010 Haunt Reviews: The 13th Floor (with Blood Shed)

The 13th Floor (and Blood Shed)
4120 Brighton Blvd
Denver, CO

This haunt seems to be constantly praised by the national media, and I can't quite figure out why. I've attended both of the last two years (I missed the first year), and both times it was solid, but very underwhelming. To be fair, this year, a lot of the problem may have stemmed from some really atrocious spacing issues that I encountered. It's hard to be scared when you're seeing the scare reset itself as you walk in. I tried to hold back, in order to avoid this, but then the next group caught up to us. And then we ran into the group that was two ahead of us. It was a complete disaster. I'm not citing the spacing issues as an excuse, though, because it isn't really excusable – that's the sort of thing that needs to be accounted for in the design.

They do have some really neat effects that you don't see a lot of, largely dealing with the illusion of great height. There are also some really impressive large-scale animatronics. Given this, I'm going to give a split rating for the first time.

4 (my experience)/8 (my guess at what you'll experience, if you get lucky with the spacing)

No comments: