Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Mist

Frank Darabont, 2007

I saw this one twice in theaters, but this was my first viewing of the Black and White version, which is apparently how Darabont wanted to release it in the first place. I think it is a vastly superior version of the movie, with crisper images, a bleaker tone, and better effects (the rough edges get kind of smoothed out by the conversion). I'm still a little troubled by the ending, though. I don't mind the change from the novella in general, but the juxtaposition of the two major events (I'm trying to be vague for spoilers' sake) is so close that it makes it seem more twist, more like a twilight zone ending or a sick joke. I would have been happier if David had just walked into the mist after (SPOILER EVENT), or if there had been more of a sense of time passing before (SPOILER EVENT 2). Still, the rest of the movie is more than strong enough to overcome my reservations about this.

8.5/10

No comments: