Monday, October 5, 2009

104 in 2009 Week 40: My Neighbor Totoro and some horror movies

This should be short and sweet, since I've already talked about most of these. The qualifying movies from this week are:

Something Wicked This Way Comes
2/10
El Orfanato 9.5/10
Curse of the Werewolf 4/10
[REC] 7.5/10
The Body Snatcher 8/10

There's also one other movie I saw prior to October:

Tonari no Totoro (My Neighbor Totoro)
Hayao Miyazaki, 1988

A man and his two daughters move out to a small village while the mother is in the hospital. The youngest daughter encounters three magical beings that she calls "Totoros." Surprisingly mundane things happen to them after that, interspersed with cool fantasy sequences that may or may not be real.

I need to say right off that I don't feel entirely right evaluating this movie. The version that I saw was dubbed in the 80's by Troma, and, I think, dubbed very poorly. The structure of the movie requires that you connect strongly with the two young girls who stand at the heart of the movie - and that's very hard to do when they sound like screaming 30-year old women. In other words, the movie came across very badly. At the same time, there were plenty of great bits of Miyazaki-madness, like the wonderful catbus, and the direction the story takes is interesting and even kind of unconventional. So I suspect the movie is better than it seems. I'm giving a rating that kind of splits the difference between what I saw (which was somewhere in the 2-range) and what I suspect it would be with subs or a better dub (a 5.5 or 6).

4/10

Progress: 93 (Par +13)

No comments: