Sunday, October 18, 2009

23. American Scary

John E Hudgens, 2006

Not actually a horror movie, but I think it fits into the Halloween spirit. This is a documentary about the people who hosted late night horror movies on TV, ranging from Vampira in the 50's to Neil Gaiman (yes, that Neil Gaiman) in more modern times. The most notable thing I took away from this movie is the realization that there are a lot of these hosts. Dozens and dozens, not just the well-known handful.

The greatest strength of this documentary is also its greatest weakness, and that is the wealth of archival footage showing the hosts doing their thing. It's fantastic stuff, and I could happily watch it for much longer than the current running time. The problem is that there just isn't enough of it. We spend a lot of time watching talking heads discuss all of the crazy things these hosts would do, when all I really want to do is watch them do the crazy things. I realize you can't just make a clip show and call it a documentary, but at the same time, I can't help but feel that the subject is more interesting than the documentary.

4/10

No comments: