Saturday, October 31, 2009

35. Mil gritos tiene la noche (Pieces)

Juan Piquer Simon, 1983

The first and last time I saw Pieces was long, long ago. It was my first Eurohorror, although I didn't realize it at the time since they go to great (well, moderate. Well, they sort of try) lengths to make it seem American. Mostly what I remembered was that there was an abundance of a) blood, b) naked girls, and c) bad dubbing. I'm pleased to report that my recollection was correct, and Pieces is primarily made up of those three elements.

Actually, that's not entirely true. There is a fourth element - sheer madness. How else to explain such wonderful/horrible moments as skateboarding through a mirror, the kung-fu professor, the chainsaw in the elevator, "BASTARD!", or the ending? These are not the fruits of a logical mind. I can't even really explain them in any way that you would believe - you just need to see them for yourself. It's kind of funny - the movie is so bizarrely wrong most of the time that the occasional beautiful and/or atmospheric shot (like the killer walking into the dance studio) is extremely jarring.

In a way, I kind of loved this movie. It's terrible. Horrible. Awful. But I still kind of loved it. Doesn't mean it gets a good rating, though.

3/10

No comments: