Tuesday, October 20, 2009

28. Cloverfield

Matt Reeves, 2008

I was pretty excited about this movie in the months leading up to its release, but for some reason, never got around to seeing it until now. In a way, I'm glad I waited - the central conceit of the video camera plays much better on TV than I suspect it would in the theater. Of course, I generally have no problem with "shakeycam," so maybe it wouldn't have mattered. Anyway, it's a briskly paced, fairly exciting movie with monsters big and small, which means that there's not much that I could personally complain about. The character running the camera through most of the movie is pretty annoying, I suppose, and there are certainly segments of the movie that would work better if he would just shut the hell up. None of the characters have much depth, but there's just enough there to make you feel what you need to feel. The very end was nice, I thought, especially coming on the heels of a fairly anticlimactic moment that I expected to be the end. The actual end makes good use of the structural idea that the movie is being recorded on a used tape, so we occasionally get flashes of video recorded a month earlier. I think that was probably the best idea the producers had, and I wish they had made more extensive use of it.

Anyway, some complaints, not perfect, blah, blah, did I mention the scary monsters?

7.5/10

No comments: