Sunday, October 18, 2009

25. La Sindrome di Stendhal

Dario Argento, 1996

The first time I saw this movie, I thought it was probably a great movie, but it was hard to tell due to the atrocious dub. Now, I've seen it with the more appropriate Italian language track, and I think it is definitely an improvement - but paradoxically, I am less impressed overall. The first half of the movie is marred by some terrible CGI (the first ever used in an Italian production, apparently), and it drags pretty severely in places. There are, however, some very interesting ideas at play, and the whole thing comes together very well at the end. It's good, but not great - which is still better than anything else Argento had done in fifteen years (or has done in the thirteen years since, really).

7/10

No comments: