Saturday, January 2, 2010

104 in 2009 Conclusion: The Bad

Now that 2009 has come to a close and I've completed my viewing challenge, I'd like to briefly look back and what I watched, and see what, if anything, I accomplished. I'm going to start here with the movies that one might justifiably refer to as "bad." I should also point out that if you look back at my original reviews, many of these now have different ratings. Sometimes that is due to reconsideration after the fact, but some of it is due to the fact that I re-adjusted my rating scale a few months ago, so that it now runs from 0-10 instead of 1-10. Fortunately, there were no 0's this year, although a few came damn close. At any rate, here are the movies (catalogue titles only) that I really didn't like this year:

3.5
The Most Dangerous Game
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
Rosemary's Baby
American Scary
Vampyr
Blazing Saddles

3
Baron Blood
On the Town
Woman in Green
300
The Firemen's Ball
Suspicion
The Cat and the Canary
L'Age D'Or
Stolen Face
Putney Swope

2.5
The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi
Galaxy of Terror
Last Laugh, The
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Son of the Sheik, The
The Sender

2
Passion of Joan of Arc, The
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Monkey Business
Psychic, The
Shock, The
Saturn 3
Johnny Handsome

1.5
Hudson Hawk
Mutant (Forbidden World)
Unseen, The

1
My Favorite Year

0.5
Miracle Mile
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
Mad Doctor of Blood Island

I should mention that My Favorite Year could easily have fallen into the 0.5 group if Peter O'Toole hadn't been so good in it. Other than that, I don't really have much to say about these movies. Some just didn't work, some I just outright hated and hope never to think about again, especially the very worst of them all, The Mad Doctor of Blood Island, which kind of has to be seen to be believed. And yes, Nate, that means that Kung Pow was not the worst movie I saw all year. But it was close.

1 comment:

Nate said...

I would just like to mention that I had some part in Brian seeing not only Kung Pow, but three of the other movies on this list as well.