Saturday, January 2, 2010

104 in 2009 Conclusion : The Good

Here comes the next batch. We've reached the point where I can state, flat-out, that I liked each and every one of these, despite whatever flaws they may have. I could recommend any of them, with some caveats. Again, these are in ascending order.

6.5
Les Diaboliques
Q: The Winged Serpent
Farenheit 451
A Story of Floating Weeds
How to Steal a Million
The Illusionist
The House with the Laughing Windows
Stardust

7
The Long Kiss Goodnight
Blast of Silence
Noises Off. . .
Badlands
Persepolis
Holiday
Talk to Her
AI: Artificial Intelligence
My Favorite Wife
Wuthering Heights
The Magus
Adam's Rib
Man with a Movie Camera

7.5
And Soon the Darkness
What About Bob?
In America
Le Doulos
After Life
Sherlock, Jr.
The Quiet Earth
[REC]
Wild Strawberries
The Exterminating Angel
Je T'aime, Je T'aime
Band of Outsiders

8
Dirty Harry
Pickup on South Street
The Devil-Doll
The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Anna
Battle Royale
In the Mood for Love
The Body Snatcher

Well, that list was certainly a lot more pleasing to look over than the other ones so far, especially once I got into the 7.5's and 8's. I should mention that Anna's rating of 8, which replaced the original lack of any rating, came after I was able to get my hands on some subtitles, which both improved and hurt my feelings about the movie. It probably hurt a little more than it helped, but I still liked it a lot. I also have to admit that as I look over these titles, I think the 6.5's probably would have fit in better in the last post. Ah well - we're almost finished with this trip back through 2009. Up next: The top 13 (2007 and earlier) movies that I saw last year. Why 12? Just because.

No comments: