Wednesday, July 16, 2014

My Time at Temple Studios, Part 29

Show #29

Friday, July 4: 5 pm

At this point, I was feeling pretty good about what I'd seen. In addition to reunions with some old favorites (Emily's Alice! Sonya's Faye!), I'd managed to hit three of the new loops I most wanted to see. Of the remaining two, I was starting to believe that I would never have the chance to see Marla Phelan's Wendy – she's a swing, after all, and I imagine none of the regulars would want to give up a show during the final week. But at least I could hit the final one on the list, Ira Siobhan's Claude, who I had passed up time and time again for no real reason.  Time to rectify that.

Out of the lift, I found Studio 5 quiet and largely deserted, as usual. Part of me expected to find the quiet variation on the “That's an arm!” scene that I had once stumbled upon at the top of the show, but instead, it was just Claude, sitting in the dressing area and reading a newspaper. I watched him read for a few minutes, during which he crushed the head of a model in the paper with the shadow of his hand. Ah, yes, Claude and his shadows. I had almost forgotten about them, it had been so long.

Eventually he climbed to his feet and headed for the basement. I followed, of course, and he led me not to the cupboard in the Temple, but to George Buchanan's office, where he told me all about how Frankie was the up and coming star, and how Dolores's time was through while changing into his initiation outfit. It was kind of odd, having him address me directly like that while I still had my mask on – the only other time I had seen that scene was in December, with David Essing – but then, the room was packed with white masks, mitigating the weirdness. This time it was just the two of us.

We headed out to the initiation, where I was surprised by just how easy it was to tell which of the masked people was Claude – Ira really does move differently than anyone else in the show. Kind of crisp and fluid all at the same time – really impressive, at any rate. After the initiation, we returned to the office and he changed back into his normal outfit. This time, another white mask joined us, and he told her to cancel all of his appointments, because it was a very important day.

On the way out, we didn't have that brilliant moment of synchronicity that I saw in December, where we encountered Lila mere moments after he said she was on her way – I guess the loops have shifted a little since then. We headed upstairs to the infidelity ballet, where Claude delivered the invitations to Andrea (Fania Grigoriou). I was quickly realizing that, despite the pre- and post-initiation scenes, Ira's Claude is neither talkative nor particularly interactive. Even with the other characters, he's a man of relatively few words – but his body language speaks volumes. This is a man in complete control, who remains untouched by anything. He actually feels even more authoritative than Stanford himself, which is no mean feat. When he pursued Frankie (Conor Doyle), first around the Studio 5 set and then down the stairs, he never lost his cool, never really got excited. Even as he kissed him, after catching him the first time, he never bothered to pull one of his hands out of his pocket. Just that cool, just that unbothered. Despite the possessiveness and the pursuit, I don't think Frankie means much to him.

This became even more apparent during the orgy. In general, once we get into the thick of things, Claude winds up blowing Frankie for quite a while – their tryst is what blocks our view of Dolores and Marshall and allows them to slip out the secret passage. Ira's Claude, on the other hand, spent much of his time abandoning Frankie and leaning off to the side to make out with the PA (Stephanie Nightingale). Thus, it was no surprise at all when he was the one who threw Frankie away, rather than the other way around. What was a surprise, however, was the bizarre way he threw himself down on Frankie one last time, and then sort of worm-crawled away. No explaining that one.

When we got to the photo room, he was once again cool and unconcerned. When he tore up Frankie's photo, it wasn't an act of rage, it was an act of dismissal. He didn't care. He even laughed a bit. Then he danced in the hallway for a minute and we headed upstairs to reset Andrea. I really like the way he cleared a path for her after arriving in the snow room with a simple, brief gesture – as I said, a very commanding presence. Once Andrea was sorted, we headed up to the Secretary's office for the casting dance. Just as before, Claude's chair was broken, and he fell off twice, even commenting on it the second time (“Chair's broken, dear.”) The response from Alice (Pascale Burgess) was hilariously in-character (something like “what are you gonna do about it?”). Then we slipped off to a brief meeting with Stanford, followed by the Codfish Ball. I made a point to pay attention to what he was doing, however difficult I find it to do so when Faye (any Faye, really) is in the room. When I had previously seen him and Miranda Mac Letten do this scene, I came away feeling that she was much more dominant in the interaction than the other Fayes. Watching him, I realized just how wrong I was. He was completely in control of the whole thing, winning the battle of wills with her simply by virtue of the fact that he wasn't really fighting. He was just doing his thing, completely unfazed. The thing that cemented this for me is the way that he danced alongside her before he got up on stage, mimicking and perhaps even mocking her movements. He was toying with her, having a bit of fun while he waited to pounce.

After the next audition, I left him, even though we hadn't quite come full circle. In the end, I came away slightly dissatisfied. The performance was fantastic and the dancing was utterly unique within the show, but the emotional connection wasn't there. This version of Claude is just too cool – he's not bothered by anything, so neither was I. It's basically what I always assumed Claude to be like, which is why I was so impressed with David Essing's version in December – his descent from suave, controlling studio executive to a pathetic, rejected creature was harrowing and completely unexpected. I guess I wound up feeling the same way about Ira's Claude as I did about Lucia Choccaro's PA – highly effective as part of the ensemble, but not as compelling as the focus of their own story. It's telling that there is a whole scene I didn't mention above (the boardroom dance over photos of Frankie) because I absolutely cannot remember where in the loop it happened. Mostly because it doesn't really matter where it happened.

My next stop would surely prove to be more fun, though – I was revisiting another old favorite, Kathryn McGarr's Seamstress. Knowing how rarely she was playing the role in the final weeks, I figured there was a good chance this would be her final night – so I certainly wasn't going to miss it. I found her in her workroom almost immediately, but just as immediately, I wound up in a holding pattern – after a brief discussion with Stanford (Sam Booth), she disappeared into a 1:1. I hung out in the workroom, and was rewarded for my patience when Faye arrived to pick up her shoes and dress. Oddly enough, she didn't go for the new blue dress that was hanging up in the usual spot (and which I had seen her wear when I did the full loop with her), but instead went digging in the back to find the classic-style floral dress. When the Seamstress arrived she hadn't actually changed into either dress (inspiring a bit of sympathetic panic from me - there's a timeline to maintain!), and they had a brief discussion, during which Faye was told to “pick whichever you like. . . if it fits.” Ouch. She went classic, and was soon on her way.

Next we headed out to the shop so that she could prepare a charm for the closet ambush, then proceeded to the ambush itself. I got to see, for the first time, what it looks like from the outside, several people back. It doesn't look particularly interesting, to be honest, although I know from experience that it was pretty awesome for whoever it was that she grabbed. She finally continued on, back into the Studio, followed slowly and painfully by a stumbling throng of white masks who couldn't even begin to find their way through the clothing maze. I guess I can't blame them – it is, after all, a maze – but that didn't make it any less frustrating, knowing that somewhere up ahead, my character was moving on while I was trapped in the dark. If I was smart, I would have gone around – out into the arcade and back in through either the cinema or the back door – but by the time I realized how bad it was, it was much too late.

Eventually I emerged into the workroom, and of course the Seamstress was nowhere to be seen. Running through the loop in my head, I quickly headed over to the Doctor's office where, as expected, she was mid-discussion with him. Of course, by that time the room was completely packed full, so I couldn't see or hear anything – so I bided my time out in the exam room until she passed through. She paused in the doorway, writing down the last of the Doctor's instructions, then cast a sassy glance in my direction, snapping, “wouldn't want to forget that, now would we?”

Back in the workroom, she quickly prepared the charm and dress for Romola, then stood in the door with them, watching as she (Sarah Sweeney) walked past. I had thought that bit was unique to Annabeth Berkeley's Seamstress, but evidently not. Then it was time for the infidelity ballet, and Andrea's forced medication. I was surprised to see that the Seamstress looked a bit troubled by the whole thing. A lot of pieces were starting to come together – something was very different about this loop, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Once Romola came in and started her scene with Conrad (Adam Burton), I watched the Seamstress gather up her things and take them back to the workroom. When she left again to retrieve Romola, I stayed behind – with crowds like that, it was better to make sure I staked out a decent spot for the makeup scene. And it was indeed a decent spot – the best spot, really – but then the crowds came in and filled in the spaces on all sides of me, including in front. I had left what I thought was the appropriate amount of space between myself and the actors, but apparently I overestimated. Fortunately, the Seamstress came to my rescue by handing me the makeup chart, and the people in front of me had to move to either side so that she could see it.

I was, of course, in no position to follow them out of the room when Romola ran off down to her shrine, but I wasn't too bothered. It was just about 1:1 time anyway, and I had no interest in trying to fight through those crowds. Better to just settle in for another round of waiting. But then, to my surprise, the Seamstress returned and had a little bit of a breakdown over the makeup instructions. She tore off the page, folded it, and shoved it at a white mask, shouting, “Always remember what we've done,” in a bitter, accusatory tone. That was the final piece falling into place. This is not the same Seamstress I saw last time I followed Kathryn McGarr. She used to be nasty, cruel, and vicious. She enjoyed the game playing and manipulation. She felt no guilt over Romola. But now. . .

Presumably, somewhere along the way Kathryn decided to change it up. But I prefer to think of it another way. I like the idea that the months between the two loops I did with her actually happened for the character, that she continued looping through the story all that time, and that it eventually wore her down. Her feelings began to change, and she transformed into the Seamstress I now saw before me.

She never did wind up doing a 1:1. Instead, she set about preparing a charm for Frankie, dipping it into two different mysterious bottles. All the while she stared me down, repeating his mantra - “It's bright being a star.” Eventually it seemed to morph into a question - “It's bright being a star, isn't it?” I'm not sure if those last two words were ever spoken, but they certainly found their way into her tone of voice.  I wasn't sure how I was supposed to react, so I nodded. Just a little, mind you – almost imperceptibly. Hedging my bets, you might say – if she did want a response, there was one. If not, maybe no one would notice my reaction.

She put the charm into a jacket pocket, then carried it out to the shop. I followed, and we settled in there for a few minutes, during which she again locked on to me and started half-asking me about brightness and stars. WHAT DO YOU WANT WITH ME, WOMAN?????

Eventually Frankie stumbled out into the street and she went to retrieve him. Ah, relief. For the first time ever, I followed the Seamstress out into the street, abandoning my usual strategy of waiting inside for her to return, but somehow still wound up with a decent view once we piled back into the shop. The Seamstress's reaction to news of Romola's death was haunting – not sadness, but rather a sort of blank horror. Shell-shock. Whatever guilt or sadness she felt was too much for her to even fully process.

Once Frankie was re-dressed and sent on his way, we went downstairs for the snow room scene with Wendy (Katherine Cowie) and Andrea. As the crowds filtered in, one of the masks decided the best place to watch Wendy and Andrea prepare for the scene from was a seated position right on the snow mound. And here I figured everyone coming to these last few shows was probably a veteran, and would know better. My mistake. As if to prove the point, there was another mask who got a bit too close to the center of the action, and had to quickly back away. She wound up taking a tumble and nearly taking a few of us along before we righted her. Geez – you start a new loop and everything just falls apart.

Soon after, the Seamstress picked a white mask to carry shoes for her, and I knew she was heading up for the 1:1. This was somewhere in the neighborhood of where I came in, so I said my mental goodbyes and moved on into town, where I planned to pick up Adam Burton's Conrad for one last go-around.

I found him a little later in his loop than I expected, already undressing in the Horse & Stars. Aghast at the sight of all the masks trying to follow him through the Saddlery, I took off through the trailer park and staked out my bit of real estate in the motel room before he got there. The lecture was professional and snappy as always, lightened up by a woman who leapt at the opportunity to undress Conrad almost before he got his leg up. Things took a slight turn near the end, though, when Conrad got to his dark/light analogy. He tied one shoe with his eyes open, sticking his fingers through the loops and bringing them together to show that they were the same size. Then he demonstrated how much different things can be in the dark by tying the other shoe with his eyes shut, sticking his fingers through the loops and. . . . bringing them together to show that they were the same size. Oops.

“Well,” he said. “Looks like I'm pretty good. But that doesn't change the point: Things are different in the dark.” Or something along those lines, anyway.

On the way into the studio, I sneakily worked my way around the Conrad/Gatekeeper (Paul O'Shea) scene and managed to be the first one down the stairs after him- but once out in the open, I was quickly overtaken by his throngs of adoring fans and wound up literally eight rows back from the door by the time we made it to his dressing room. It was crazy. As the crowds dispersed, I had a seat at Andrea's dressing table and started perusing the script she had laid out. I'm kind of embarrassed to say that it took me several minutes to identify it as “Charade.” As soon as I managed that, Andrea herself showed up and kicked me out (actually, she pretended I wasn't even there, but the effect was the same). I got up and hovered around the backstage nexus for a while until Conrad emerged, and followed them to Studio 3 for the magic trick. It's lots of fun, as usual, and I'm always impressed with the grace with which Fania descends into the box, kicking one leg up into the air and then just disappearing straight down, with no sign that she's actually folding herself up.

After the trick, despite heading in the direction of the exit a little early, I wound up having enough difficulty with the crowds that I lost Conrad and Andrea in the hallway. It wasn't a big deal – after all, I knew where to find them again, but it was enough to force a decision – I had to abandon the loop. There were just too many people, and I wasn't enjoying it.

Hoping for some peace and quiet, I decided to check another item off of my to-do list: follow the Gatekeeper. I found him in his office by the gates, as always, but it turned out to be a case of “be careful what you wish for,” because I wound up very bored, very quickly. There are people I know who swear by him, but it just didn't work for me.

I wound up wandering for the rest of the show, desperately looking for someone or something that I wanted to follow. Nothing presented itself – we were too close to the end of the show. Frankly, it had turned out to be a bit of a disaster in the end. I was getting more and more worked up and irritated, horrified that I was wasting precious time so close to the end of the run. Finally, I remembered that oh-so-important lesson from New Year's Eve: A show can only go badly if you let it go badly. Attitude matters more than anything else.

Or, to put it another way, your bearing shapes your fate.

I took a seat on the bench near the fountain in town, took a deep breath, and just waited. I sat there, taking in the atmosphere and looking around this space that I love so much, enjoying a brief bit of quiet and solitude. The tension and angst slowly melted away, and by the time Tuttle (Matthew Blake) came by with his entourage, I was ready to join them on their journey downstairs to the finale.

Even with that last-minute save, this was easily the weakest of the four final week shows I had attended thus far. It came the closest to being what I worried the entire week might be like, overstuffed and frustrating. Realistically, though, I shouldn't complain – I had two solid loops, and things only fell apart toward the end. If that's as bad as things ever got, I would have to consider myself lucky.


By the way, that is, in fact, exactly as bad as things ever got. Four more shows, and it only gets better from here.

No comments: