Wednesday, December 11, 2013

My Time at Temple Studios, Part 4

Show #4
Saturday, September 14: 9 pm

While waiting in line for the late show, I couldn't stop thinking about the Grocer. I'm a sucker for metatextual horror, so a story about a man who possesses a script outlining his future, which he must obey against his will, draws me like a moth to a flame. I found myself wishing I had found the patience to wait for the 1:1 to end so I could continue his story, and resolved to remedy the situation first thing.

Well, second thing, actually. First, I needed to lead Shawn to Romola, because he insisted that he was incapable of finding her on his own, and I really wanted to be able to talk about her. So straight out of the lift, I led him to the saloon, where she was talking to the barman. This time, she was played by Katie Lusby, and the prospect of seeing a third version of Romola was a very enticing one – but we had a semi-unspoken agreement to never follow the same character at the same time, so I left. Besides, I had a Grocer to catch.

I found the Grocer (Julian Stolzenberg, same as the previous show) in his store, polishing cans of peas. It wasn't long before Romola (with Shawn in tow) wandered in, which threw me for a loop. This didn't happen before – we went straight from the saloon to the gates. But no matter – I get to follow the grocer and see a new Romola scene. I'm a happy guy.

Shortly thereafter, I became slightly less happy. Badlands Jack came in and tried to steal the script, and I realized that I was at the exact point I had come in a couple of hours earlier, with the same actor playing the role. It was all going to be a repeat. But I still wanted to see how it continued, so I stuck around. When he brought me to the drugstore, I was pleased to see that Sophie Bortolussi was playing Drugstore Girl. I've been a fan of her since Sleep No More, where she played the definitive Lady Macbeth, so I was quite excited to see her. I made the decision that I was going to do a full loop with her that show, but not just yet – it was still Grocer time.

Soon we reached the 1:1, and this time he took me. It was, like so many of them, suitably horrifying and devastating. Afterward, however, when he sent me back out into the store, he didn't follow me, instead remaining in the locked back room. All of that repeating, and I wound up leaving him at essentially the same spot. At least I got the 1:1 out of it.

I wasn't ready to return to the Drugstore Girl yet, as I wanted to catch her loop in order, starting at the reset, so I wandered back around through the trailer park. At this point, the hoedown was in full swing, and Dwayne (Oliver Hornsby-Sayer) and Mary (Kate Jackson) were getting it on against the window. Having seen the scene from inside, I stuck around with them, then followed Mary to the woods, where she stripped to a negligee and did a tragic dance of contrition. This introduced a major wrinkle to how I viewed the murders. Before, they seemed almost abstract – both the victims and the murderers were pawns, and I viewed them from the perspective of the manipulators, appreciating the machinations that brought them to that point. Now, suddenly, they were people, and I no longer wanted the story to play out the way I knew it had to. When Mary and William (Paul Zivkovich) reunited, I felt a flood of relief. When they danced in the saloon to Faye's rendition of “Walking in the Sand,” I was overwhelmed by the beauty and tenderness of it.

Then I remembered where things were going. As William picked Mary up and carried her to the stairs leading to the desert, the song suddenly felt like a dirge, and as I followed them, I was part of a funeral procession. The murder itself stands in stark contrast to Wendy's murder of Marshall; where that was harsh and brutal, this was tender and, dare I say it, lyrical. The final moment, as Mary's body slips out of her negligee and disappears into the sand, leaving William with nothing but that scrap of fragile cloth in his hands, is perhaps the most heartwrenching of the show.

I followed William back down to the gates, where he encounters Wendy for the first and only time as the reset music swells. I was contemplating sticking with him instead of moving on to the Drugstore Girl, but when Mary showed up alive and well, the spell was broken, and I felt free to return to the drugstore.

Sophie's Drugstore Girl is quite different from Miranda's. She feels much younger and more energetic, even sprightly. Following her story is. . . well, not like following a story at all, really. She doesn't really have a real narrative arc, and, outside of a left-field twist at the end of her loop, doesn't really change at all. Instead, a loop with the Drugstore Girl is like hanging out with your fun, charming friend who likes to wander around and show you cool things. She poured me a glass of lemonade that magically turned bright red when it hit the glass. She introduced me to the “Bulldog” number, which I love, despite my general disdain for Grease, Bye Bye Birdie, and similar. Admittedly, my opinion may have been swayed by the fact that the performance featured my three favorite ladies (Sophie, Sonya Cullingford as Faye, and Kirsty Arnold as Andrea) all in one place. She even roller skated around the town. That last bit turned out to be a little dangerous – while toying with the gatekeeper, she nearly took a tumble, and only avoided it by catching my arm – very nearly pulling me down in the process.

This is not to say that she's clumsy – in fact, one of the things I remember most is how incredibly smoothly she could move, like a cat. I never got a sense for that at Sleep No More, because the choreography for Lady Macbeth tended to be a lot more aggressive and herky-jerky, but as the Drugstore Girl, Sophie was inhumanly fluid. At one point, she leapt on to the counter only a couple of feet from me, and I couldn't even hear her land. I was, and am, in awe. All in all, hanging out with Drugstore Girl was really all just a fun, low-pressure time.

But then it came to an end. The grocer arrived, and led her to her death at the hands of. . . I don't even know what. Poison? A magic phone call? At least she died laughing. This was also the scene that really sold me on Julian's grocer, even more so than the 1:1. I could feel the tension he brought to the room even before I turned and saw him, and it was his quiet desperation and sheer misery that tipped the moment from horrifying to tragic.

Of course, no one stays dead for long at The Drowned Man, and come the reset, Drugstore Girl was revived with a simple “Wake up, sleepyhead” from Harry Greener (James Sobol Kelly). She spent the next chunk of time in, essentially, housekeeping mode, moving props and costume pieces around for the new loop. Sophie played this portion of the loop as a sort of zombie, moving silently and simply around the set, and even walking backwards at times, as if living out pre-programmed commands. I didn't make the connection at the time, but it was remarkably similar to how Harry responded to the Gatekeeper reviving him in Show #3. Is it possible that he died out on the street, and the Gatekeeper brought him back to life, rather than just waking him up? But back to Drugstore Girl - it was suprisingly difficult to watch her - a pale shadow of her former self wandering around, a body without a soul. Finally, her work done, she sprung to life mid-stride with a literal snap of her fingers. Drugstore Girl was restored, and I could move on.

The very next character I came across was Faye, who I had seen almost nothing of outside of the large group scenes. That was a strong argument for taking up with her. The fact that Sonya Cullingford was playing her was a plus, because she's terrific, but also a minus, since I had spent a decent chunk of time with her as Romola, including a 1:1, just a few hours earlier – and it might seem weird to her if I showed up again so soon. Still, that's two points for and only one against, so off I went.

Faye's story is essentially a parade of rejection. No matter what she does, in the end, no one wants what she has to offer. Even her great triumph at the audition is tinged with rejection (she gets A part, not THE part). She lacks the supernatural creepiness or mythical overtones of some of the other stories, but there's something to be said for the power of simple, human pain – not to mention the mention the fascinating tragedy of watching Faye dig her hole even deeper by trying to mimic the game-playing and manipulation she caught a glimpse of inside the studio (I may be stretching a bit on that last point, but I feel like that's part of what's going on). For me, the enduring image of Sonya's Faye is just before “Bulldog”, when she's on stage, in her green dress and black leather jacket, looking up at Stanford's voice coming out of the speakers. There's so much hope and excitement in that moment, that when I saw her later in her motel room, chugging booze straight from the bottle, or in the saloon, singing “Walking in the Sand,” it was hard to believe I was looking at the same person.

On a side note, vis-a-vis the aftermath of Faye's dance in the desert: running at full speed on sand is really difficult.

This being the third loop of the night, the story was cut short so that we could transition into the finale. On the previous nights, these truncated third loops ended with characters essentially just abandoning their stories to go watch the final murder, but Faye was in such a state at that point that it would be hard to pull it off – so I got to see something entirely unexpected: A happy ending. After Faye completed her devastating rendition of “Walking in the Sand,” her father, Harry, showed up to invite her to the Temple Studio's wrap party. They rushed down the stairs to the finale, and I stuck close to their heels, listening to them excitedly babble on to each other about all of the famous movie stars that would be there. Shallow, perhaps, but it felt wonderful to see them both smiling.

Once we reached Studio 2, Faye looked back and grabbed my hand, then pulled me in and held me during the murder, just as Andrea had at my first show. Afterward, though, she didn't immediately drop me off somewhere to watch the final number – she dragged me on stage, where we danced. Or, more accurately, she danced, and I moved around with something vaguely (very vaguely) approximating rhythm. When she raised my hand above our heads, it took two attempts for me to realize I was supposed to twirl. At least all of the other characters were in the process of joining us on stage, so presumably very few, if any, people were actually watching me. A few moments later, she dropped me off at the edge of the stage with a warm “enjoy the show,” and our time together was finished. She didn't come back for me, like Andrea had – perhaps she prefers to spread the love around, or perhaps I scared her off with my atrocious performance as a dance partner. Either way, it left me with the opportunity to stop off at the murder pools again on my way out, which was already starting to feel like an integral part of the show for me.


No comments: