Tuesday, December 3, 2013

My Time at Temple Studios, Part 1

This is the first in a series of posts describing my experience at The Drowned Man: A Hollywood Fable, an immersive theater production from Punchdrunk.  Over a long weekend in September, I flew to London and saw the show six times.  Ever since, I have been able to think about little else.  For those unfamiliar with The Drowned Man (or its sister production, Sleep No More), here is the basic concept:

Each show takes place within an expansive set, filling an entire building and spread across several floors. Characters move freely about this space, coming and going and interacting in various configurations. Audience members are given masks and instructed to remain silent, then turned loose into the set, free to move about wherever and whenever they see fit, follow or ignore characters, and generally find their own version of the story.  During each 3-hour performance, events repeat nearly three times, allowing for multiple perspectives within a single show.  Performances are largely dance-based, and highly cinematic lighting and sound effects are incorporated into nearly every inch of the space.  This all sounds terribly academic, but as you will see, the effect is anything but.

For anyone concerned about such things, Spoilers HO!


Show #1
Friday, September 13: 5 pm

I wasn't planning to see the show that night. It was a mere three hours after my plane from Denver to London had landed, and one hour until showtime. I had originally left the evening deliberately empty for fear of jet lag. Besides, three shows in a row of Sleep No More had proven to be plenty for me in the past, and I had four scheduled for the following nights. Surely that would be plenty. But as my trip loomed closer, and I read more and more reviews, I started to wonder. Then I wondered some more. Eventually, I wondered a bit too much, and bought a fifth ticket, for the early Friday show. My friend and traveling companion, Shawn, was less than thrilled with me. He already thought that four trips to Temple Studios was too much, but it would be a cold day in hell before he'd let me see it first.  So he booked a fifth ticket as well.

I had a rough idea of what to expect, but there was so much information out there that I couldn't even begin to form it into something coherent. The closest thing I had to a plan was that I wanted to see the PA, who I knew wore a leopard print dress and who was, apparently, a favorite of many fans. Beyond that. . . well, I'd just see where the night took me. First of all, though, I needed it to take me inside. An hour is a long time to wait.

Finally, the red shutters were pulled open and I stepped into a rather uninspiring entryway. Undeterred, I snagged my ticket from the box office, laughed at the poor fools in the coat check line, ran forward to. . . another line. Fortunately, this wait was not nearly as long, and soon I was feeling my way through a dark maze, feeling a Pavlovian twinge of excitement, programmed into my by the corresponding maze at the Mckittrick. A few more turns and I found myself in a holding area, mask in hand, waiting to be let into the elevator (excuse me, “lift”). As we entered, I made a point to get on last, hoping this would mean I would be first out. I wanted to take full advantage of “magic hour,” that first period of the show before everyone is let in, and you don't have to worry about the crowds distracting you.

The elevator stopped in the basement and I charged out. I had no idea where I was going, but damn it, I was going to be the first one there. My destination turned out to be several interesting, but unoccupied rooms. I made a mental note to return to them later (spoiler: I never did find my way back), and charged off again. Where were the actors? I wanted to spend magic hour with a character! Eventually, I found my way into a large room with a black-and-white checkerboard floor. Still no sign of life. I wandered around to a separate portion of the room, where two dummies, a man and a woman were sprawled out on the floor. Turning away from the dummies, I finally found my first character – an old woman in a rubber mask, watching me creepily from the shadows between two pillars.

I approached her, but she took no notice of me. I started to think she wasn't a person at all, but just another mannequin. But every time I managed to almost convince myself of that, my brain started to twist back in the other direction. It was just too dark to tell – until I finally looked down at her legs and saw that she was mounted on wheels. Mannequin it is, then. I headed out to the other hallway, where I finally caught my first glimpse of unmasked life.

It was Frankie (Owen Ridley-Demonick), standing under a light as if waiting for someone. As soon as I approached, he started to move, and led me right back to the checkerboard room. This time, though, it wasn't empty. Mr. Stanford (Sam Booth) stood on a small stage, motionless. We were soon joined by three people in rubber masks, and Frankie's initiation began. I will try to refrain from describing the usual details of major scenes like this, since many others have already done so, but suffice it to say, it was a hell of an introduction. I was instantly fascinated by Stanford, and decided to stick with him – but then, after he cast her as the Grandmother, Dolores (I'm ashamed say I'm not sure who played her) threw a fit and started ripping her suit off. Creepy bald guy or angry stripping woman? Gah. Weak. So weak.

I followed Dolores upstairs to her bedroom, where the PA (Fania Grigoriou) showed up to help her change. Right off the bat, she was intimidating as all hell. Poised, aloof, she didn't look down on people so much as look through them. I almost switched over to her at that moment, but my experience thus far had already been pretty scattered, and I wanted to actually stick with a character for a while.

Eventually Dolores led me back downstairs to the checkerboard room, and as we approached, I could hear the sounds of “The Pink Room,” and, as a fan of Twin Peaks, I knew what that implied: drug-fueled sex orgy. When we got inside, several characters were already engaged in some sort of sexy line dance, and I wound up standing right next to Andrea (Kirsty Arnold), who immediately took my breath away. She locked eyes with me, swaying back and forth, for what was surely just a couple of seconds but felt like minutes. I will never forget that look.

The orgy that followed was not super-impressive, feeling kind of tame in comparison to the Sleep No More witches' rave, but I did really like the bit of sleight of hand, where Marshall and Dolores disappeared underneath the other actors, only to emerge from another room moments later. Afterward, everyone left except for Dolores and Alice (Emily Mytton), and we were reunited with the old lady mannequin.

A thousand words in and I'm only just getting to the first reset, so let's fast forward again. I stuck with Dolores through the reset and into the first portion of the next loop, until she got dressed for the initiation. Of the scenes that I'm skipping over, I would like to make special mention of Dolores and Marshall's dance on the ice floes to “Past, Present, and Future,” which is so fun and joyous that you can easily forget that it's an adulterous liaison. When I did finally leave Dolores, I was faced with a choice – do I move to the PA, who I originally wanted to follow, but who would also repeat a lot of what I had just seen, or do I wander off in search of something new? I settled on the PA, reasoning that I still had several shows to see the rest of the building. This turned out to be a very good choice, as that show was the only one where Fania played the PA, and it would have been a terrible shame to miss it.

If I were to sum up the PA's story in one word, it would be “drugs.” Taking drugs, giving drugs, making drugs, drug druggy drug drug drugs. It certainly made a lot of other characters' actions make a lot more sense, particularly at the line-dance/orgy, where I arrived early enough this time to see that pretty much everyone there actually was in a drug-induced stupor, all at the hands of the PA. After the orgy, as I followed her down a long, dark hallway, she stopped and turned back to me. She stared directly at me for a long, long time. At least, I thought so – it was dark enough to keep me from being 100% certain where her eyes were directed. I tried to stare back non-confrontationally, thinking that maybe this was going to be a 1:1 – but she never reached out her hand. The stalemate was resolved by my jumping six feet in the air when I realized that she was actually staring at Stanford, who had been slowly sliding along the wall behind me for at least a couple of minutes. Creepy bald guy, indeed.

After that, we headed to her office, where she sat down at the desk and re-applied her lipstick. As she finished, she caught my eye in her compact mirror. After the hallway incident, I wasn't sure how to take this, and when she stood and approached me, I took a step backward. She pressed on, I stepped back again, and suddenly I found myself trapped in a corner of the room, where she grabbed my shoulders and planted her mouth on my neck. Have I mentioned how intimidating this woman is? She's less than half my size, but I was kind of terrified of her. The terror didn't last for long, though, because I felt like in that moment, she marked me as her own. After that, we became partners (in crime, I suppose).

Next up was the reset, where she retrieved the old lady costume from Dolores. I followed her down into the basement, and into a small room. Suddenly, she reached behind me, blocking the other white masks from entering, and locked the door. Thus began my first 1:1.

Since this is going to be posted out in the open, rather than the spoiler group, I'll refrain from going into detail about any of the 1:1's I experienced – but when it was finished, my old mannequin buddy was reborn. Then it was back to the PA's office for the start of what was to be the highlight of the show for me. Climbing onto the desk, she retrieved a watch from behind a picture on the wall. She walked back to the edge of the desk, swaying precariously, and reached out her hand for support. I took it and helped her down, and she thanked me by pulling me down into the chair. She placed the watch in my hand and proceeded to perform some sort of ritual over it, chanting and sprinkling some strange seeds. Then she took my other hand and brought me upstairs to a small office just off of Studio 4, where we found a shiny box on a snowy desk. She took the watch from me and placed in in the box, directed me to sprinkle snow onto it, which I did, then closed the box and handed it to me. We returned to Studio 4, where Marshall and Dolores were dancing on the ice again. Holding that box, I was no longer scared of her, I was obedient. I was on Team PA, and I wasn't going to let her down. Soon, the time came for her to take the box and give it to Dolores. We watched Dolores give the watch to Marshall, and finally the PA walked away from me, running her hands across my shoulders in a way that felt like goodbye. I didn't get the message right away, though, and watched her for a few minutes more until she disappeared behind a locked door with another white mask, and I was adrift once more.

I decided I needed a complete change of scenery – there was a whole world outside the gates that I had yet to see! I headed up to the first floor (to use the european numbering), intending to see what lay beyond the Doctor's office, which was as far as I had been. As soon as I got there, however, who should I see but Andrea, walking right back toward me. You remember, Andrea who took my breath away? Decision time – do I go check out the rest of the world, or do I follow the – ah, who am I kidding. Of course I followed the pretty girl.

She took me down to the dressing room, where she changed into a sort of western outfit. This (changing outfits) turned out to be sort of a theme for the rest of the night. A dapper man in a suit showed up (Conrad, although I don't know who played him), and we took off down an unfamiliar hallway, which led right to Studio 3. The bar. That place where people talk and don't wear masks. A little background: I don't feel comfortable going to the bar during Punchdrunk shows. When I'm inside that world, I don't want to hear people who aren't actors talking, and I don't want to take my mask off (unless it's in a 1:1). My first time at Sleep No More, I stumbled upon the bar by accident, and the woman there congratulated me on finding my way back. All I could do was awkwardly croak out, “I didn't mean to find it” and turn right back around.  But this time, I couldn't turn around. Andrea was in the bar. My character was in that. . . place. There was peanut butter in my chocolate. I had some difficulty processing this, which must have shown on my face, because Conrad stopped to ask me if I was all right.  I think I nodded unconvincingly.

They performed a rather delightful magic trick, which ended with Andrea in her underwear again, and soon we returned to the masked world of Temple Studios. I really can't tell you how much of a relief it was for me to put my mask back on. Like a great weight was lifted from my shoulders.

We returned to the dressing room and she changed again, then it was back up to the first floor, where I discovered that Studio 5 had magically appeared off of the long hall to the doctor's office. I swear it wasn't there before. Andrea took part in the Infidelity Ballet, which is another of my favorite bits (really, everything in Studio 5 is golden), and it was back to the dressing room, where she changed costumes. Again. At this point, I had seen her in her underwear enough times that I was starting to feel self-conscious about it. Each time it happened, I wound up standing a little farther back, and spending a little more time glancing around the room.

The next few bits were not particularly notable. She took me downstairs to my THIRD orgy of the night. She comforted Wendy. Eventually, she grabbed a couple of roses and got that look in her eye (no, not THAT look. The 1:1 look). She gave me one of the roses and took my hand. It wasn't for a 1:1, though. Instead, she brought me to Studio 2 to watch Wendy murder Marshall, holding my shoulders and squeezing me with each thrust of the knife. The director called cut.  Andrea told me to throw my rose and brought me to the stage to watch the finale dance, planting me between two trees and telling me not to move. Watching the cast assemble on stage was the first time I realized the true scope of the show, and just how little of it I had seen. In addition to the three characters I had followed, and the ten or so I had briefly encountered without learning much about, there were better than a dozen that I had never seen before! They were a complete mystery to me.

The finale was, in a word, fantastic. Some of the early reviews claimed that it was a letdown, but either they changed it after the previews or those reviewers are stark raving mad, because I can't imagine a better way to wrap things up. It's not just a big, splashy number that brings everyone together, but also a sort of emotional rollercoaster all on its own (even more so once I learned more about the characters). Afterward, Andrea returned and took me to Studio 3, where she danced with me for a few moments, pulled off my mask, and told me I was amazing.

I was on an incredible adrenaline high. I was overwhelmed, in love with everything around me. I never wanted to leave that building. Shawn and I pulled up a table and compared notes – he was raving about a mysterious man known only as “moustache guy,” who we later identified as David Essing's Claude, and who had instructed Shawn to “keep an eye on that clown,” leading to an incredibly terrifying experience that he would only hint about.

This was the point where panic began to set in. I had made a terrible, terrible mistake. Five shows would not be enough. Not even close. I needed ten shows. Fifteen. Maybe twenty. But it was impossible; I would only be in England for a few days. I would have to settle for five.


Or would I? When a staff member came by, not long after that, to kick us out so they could reset, I asked him if there were still tickets available for the late show. . . .

No comments: