Saturday, March 13, 2010

23. The Hurt Locker

The Hurt Locker
Kathryn Bigelow, 2009

A month in the life of an impulsive bomb expert (Jeremy Renner) in Iraq.

Certainly not the best movie of the year, but as Best Picture winners go, it's at the upper end of the curve. There really isn't much of anything that I can complain about with this movie - performances are strong, the technical aspects are impeccable, it's well-paced. I guess the only reason I don't rate it higher is that it never really comes fully to life - there's some sort of indescribable spark that is missing. I do suspect that a second viewing may change my mind on this point. Still, I haven't had a second viewing, and based on how I feel now, I have to say that that missing spark means it's less than the sum of its parts - but the parts are strong enough that less than the sum is still pretty good.

7/10

No comments: