Saturday, March 13, 2010

21. Modern Times

Modern Times
Charles Chaplin, 1936

A factory worker (Chaplin) goes mad, gets accidentally involved in politics, goes to jail, falls in love, tries to get a job, and other loosely connected things.

After making two attempts with Chaplin, I think I'm going to have to accept that he's just not for me. Modern Times, near as I can tell, is a series of barely-related vignettes that each serve as little more than an excuse for Chaplin to mug for the camera and do a silly walk. I feel kind of bad saying this, and I do worry that I might be missing something, but my impression is that he's essentially the Jim Carrey of his generation. Even when he comes up with something interesting, like the automatic feeding machine, the "comedy" stretches out for so long that it just becomes tedious.

2/10

No comments: