Wednesday, March 19, 2014

My Time at Temple Studios, Part 15

Show #15
Friday, March 7: 5 pm

After spending some time with the glorious new cast board at the front of the queue, I decided to start this show with another of the new class of 2014, Lucia Chocarro as the PA. Despite the number of shows I've seen, there are still several characters that I'm never quite sure about how to catch out of the first lift - I have a rough idea, but can't quite zero in. In this case, I think that point in the show corresponds to her 1:1, so my assumption would be that she's actually backstage for a few minutes – however, I've heard from others that she actually starts out in the basement. What to do? Well, the lift lets out in the basement anyway, so I rushed out, checked her office (no joy), and headed upstairs to the ground floor, where she. . . wouldn't. . . actually. . . be. . . anyway. Hmm. I contented myself with watching Marshall (James Finnemore) and Dolores (Jane Leaney) have their sexytimes in the ornate bedroom, all by myself. Just me, them, and a lone black mask. Those moments are always fascinating and exciting, but also just a little bit awkward. I know they're performing for me, but I also kind of want to look away. If only someone else was watching, I'd be fine.

Fortunately, before long, someone did show up: the PA. Right away, she was very different from the others I had spent time with. She was darker, more sinister, and completely inscrutable. No matter what angle I caught her from, her eyes seemed to disappear into pools of shadow. Where Kirsty Arnold gleefully reveled in her evil manipulations and Fania Grigoriou looked down on the world from a lofty, inhuman perch, Lucia seemed completely alien without the superiority – she's just as distant, if not more so, but it's a lateral move - if that makes any sense.

It's an interesting take, and that shadowed eyes thing makes for a very striking visual, but it does also make it more difficult to get inside her head, making it more suitable for a supporting role that pops up now and again than someone that you follow for a full loop. Still an enjoyable loop, but not one that stands out among my best. As an interesting side note, Lucia's PA seems to like to spread her attention around. Oftentimes, characters will kind of imprint on a particular audience member, returning to them time and again throughout the loop. But of the four major points of interaction (the 1:1, the 2:1, the neck suck, and the watch quest), each went to a different person (I got the neck suck!). I'll leave the debate about which approach is superior to others, as I can see the argument for both – but I do find it interesting to track the differences.

At any rate, my loop ended just about where it started, as the PA disappeared into her 1:1. Time to move on. I decided to go to the desert and try my luck with the Dust Witch. During my December trip, I hadn't even bothered to spend any time with her, because I felt like I had done her loop in September. But when I stop and actually think about it, all I had done was two scenes and the 1:1. I suppose I must have subconsciously just assumed she didn't do anything else during the rest of the loop - which is, of course ridiculous. This seemed like a good night to remedy the situation, since Laura Harding was playing her - and as anyone who's read my earlier write ups knows, she's already the scariest person in the building, even before she puts on a black veil and starts skulking about a dark desert.

I found her mid-anointing with Miguel (Ed Warner), with quite the crowd around her. The scene ended shortly after I arrived, no time to really get a sense of it. She returned to her chapel to drop off the bowl of. . . stuff.  Whatever it is that she smears all over him.  Then she slipped outside, running her hands along many of ours on the way. I have to assume one of the other guys grabbed hold, because she pulled him out and off to the 1:1. Damn, fortune did not favor the non-bold.

I've finally reached a point in my Temple Studios journey where I'm no longer afraid of missing things if I'm not busy every single second. So I decided I could wait for her to emerge. I waited. And then I waited some more. Faye passed by on her way to the sand dance. I kept waiting. Faye left. Still waiting. Did you know that the sand doesn't actually extend all the way to the wall? I sure do, now. It stops about six feet out. More waiting. The lucky white mask emerged. Dusty did not. Waiting some more. Wandered over to the scarecrows for a bit. Wandered back. And hey! What's this? We have Dust Witch? Excellent. Loop resumes. . . .now.

The Dust Witch headed over to Mary's shrine in front of the scarecrows, and I found myself a spot off to the side. She began a very cool prayer/ritual session (“set to the music from Signs!” screamed the playlist-maintaining portion of my brain), which ended with light streaming out of dozens of holes in the shack behind her. It was really something to see, incredibly dramatic considering how low-key it really was. The whole event ended with the Dust Witch stumbling away, wracked with horrible coughs. She worked her way over to the wall, then flattened herself against it just as Dwayne (Luke Murphy) rushed in, coughing and struggling just as she had. A premonition, I have to assume? My original intention with the Dust Witch was to follow her to the reset, then do a full final loop with Drugstore Girl - but after that spectacular display, I decided to go for the full cycle.

Overcome with anguish, Dwayne began to strip out of his clothes, twirling around the sand and flinging it everywhere. As he moved deeper into the desert, the Dust Witch took my hand. “Please help me,” she said, leading me out to where Dwayne had been a few moments earlier. Not sure what exactly I can help her with, but I'm certainly not going to say no. She knelt down in the sand and began fumbling about with her hand, and it hit me: she's blind. Of course. I picked up Dwayne's shoes, socks, and shirt, and handed them to her. She stuffed them into a concealed sack that began to look for all the world like a false pregnant belly, and we headed over the the murder dune where Dwayne had stripped down completely and was flinging himself through the air in wild circles. I have to admit, I have a lot of respect for the guys who play Dwayne – that role takes some real balls (no pun intended).  You're just out there for the world to see, with nowhere to hide. Once he finally expended and exhausted himself, the Dust Witch helped him to his feet and took him downstairs. Now, since I had been following her, rather than him, I was in a prime position and was the first one down the stairs after them. I have to admit I may have taken just a tiny bit of perverse pleasure in getting between Naked Dwayne and his legions of schoolgirl fans – although one of them did manage to duck under my arm(!) when I pushed a door open and get ahead. Where there's a will, there's a way.

It was a surprisingly long walk to the first floor chapel, through portions of the studio. I had no idea the Dust Witch walked through this much of the first floor, and no idea that Dwayne covered this much ground without his pants. So weird, so awkward. We eventually arrived, and all gajillion of us crowded into the bath room (as opposed to bathroom) off to the side, where the Dust Witch sort of reset Dwayne. I've heard many people say that she's a gentle, comforting presence who calms him down, but that's certainly not what I saw. I suppose that's kind of the end result, but the process was surprisingly violent, resembling a forced baptism or even a drowning more than anything else. I was suitably creeped out by the end, and my pants legs were completely soaked.

Her work complete, the Dust Witch left the room, and I followed her past throngs who were still in the process of trying to get into the room. She passed through the trailer park, and then the saloon (such an incongruous image). Back upstairs, she encountered the recently dead Mary (Laure Bachelot) at the shrine, and here that sense of comforting and aiding came out, as her presence seemed to restore Mary's sanity, even as Mary seemed to yearn for her like a child for a mother. Immediately thereafter, Dust Witch took someone in for a 1:1, and it was time for me to shift plans – as much as I wanted to see the rest of the loop, I didn't want to wait around in that same spot for that same amount of time again. Back to plan A: Drugstore Girl.

DG (Isabelle Cressy) was, as usual, puttering about her drugstore. I had decided to follow her for two reasons – one, to revisit a character I really enjoyed, and two, because it would give me an opportunity to see how they got along without a Badlands Jack (Did I mention there was no Badlands Jack at this show? I should have. Because there wasn't. Anyhow. . . ). Sadly, the loop had been tweaked just enough anyway that I wasn't able to really notice exactly how they covered him – I suppose the Drugstore Girl just spent a bit more time hanging out and not doing anything in particular than she might otherwise have.

But enough of what I didn't see: here's what I did see. I got a magic red lemonade almost right off the bat, and the details worked out in such a way that I was finally able to see exactly how it worked. I wound up with a near-perfect (almost dangerously so) seat for the Andy(Tomislav English)/Miguel struggle. I got my first extended look at one of the new Harrys, James Traherne. He plays it quite a bit differently from James Sobol Kelly – much goofier, more clowning. Sweeter, too – I wasn't really feeling that edge of desperation that I got from JSK. I saw Bulldog (how did I manage not to see it during my first show of this batch? Inexcusable). I saw DG deliver a lemonade to the Grocer (Jesse Kovarsky) instead of the gatekeeper(!) and dance in her rollerskates with the Barman (Nicola Migliorati). I followed her to the hoedown, where the Barman was forced to dance by himself a the end of the line as if sitting at the head of the table, on account of Jack's absence. This was the point where I noticed that Lily Ockwell (Faye) had managed to work in a pretty good scream to kick the hoedown off (she's famous for her Sexy Witch Shriek at Sleep No More). It's not really a patch on the Sexy Witch Shriek, but still a nice little touch that I appreciated and enjoyed.

Eventually we wound up back in the drugstore, and I was served a jelly baby. Andy came in, pitched a fit (understandably so, admittedly), and knocked over the postcard rack on his way out. This is roughly where I would have expected a Jack visit, but of course he didn't show up, so DG just spent the time picking up and sorting the postcards. This left me feeling kind of awkward – on the one hand, it's instinctive to want to help her. On the other hand, what degree of intruding on the action is really appropriate? My decision was made pretty quickly, though, when she picked up the rack, knelt down to start in on the postcards, looked back at the rack, and stood back up to re-adjust the rack a few inches to the side. She just looked so sad, and the move was so pathetically ineffectual, I couldn't help myself, and joined in on the picking and sorting. Afterward, she thanked me quietly and weakly, then retrieved a rose from behind the counter and. . . grabbed the hand of an old woman and took her down to the murder. Harumph (I say facetiously).

Those two moments (the rack adjustment and the half-hearted “thanks”) actually carried more emotion than anything else in the loop. It's kind of funny the things that will click with you.

On the way out of the drugstore, I could hear that Faye was still in the midst of “Walking in the Sand.” I immediately headed that way because, hey, it's “Walking in the Sand.” Sadly, I was immediately accosted by a black mask that insisted I follow DG down to the murder. I don't really get it – there's clearly still stuff happening on this floor, so why can't I go see it? Still, I was obviously not about to get in a fight over it, so down I went. On my way in to Studio 2, I passed Ace (Mateo Oxley) as he was herding the Studio 3 bar-goers inside. Apparently recognizing me, he gave me a knowing smirk and a “well, well, well” as I passed.

A few brief moments after that, it was all over. Not a bad show (can there ever truly be one?), and it had some very cool moments (Seriously, that Dust Witch scene at the shrine. SERIOUSLY), but for the most part it never really wowed me, or drew me in like the best shows do. Coming right on the heels of a first show with significant portions that kind of felt the same way, I was starting to wonder if the magic had worn off. Still, I was committed to four more shows over the weekend – would one of them change my mind?

Would it?

Would it?


Spoiler: Yes.

No comments: