Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Time at Temple Studios, Part 8


Show #8
Friday, December 27: 9 pm

Straight out of show 7 and back into the line, I wasn't quite sure how to start the next one. I wanted to try Lila's loop, but I wasn't sure where to find her at the start of the show. There was a new (to me) Faye, who had joined the cast after my September trip – but one of the spoiler group people in line kind of warned me off of her, saying he found her much weaker than the others. Still, I figured I would see for myself, and I continued figuring on that right up until it was time to load the lift, when I changed my mind – it was time to get a better sense of what Laura Harding's Alice was all about.

I got off on the first floor and rushed over to Studio 5, where I found her with Claude (River Carmault) and Frankie (Carl Harrison). Timing-wise, this was where they would normally be having their “That's an arm! That's a leg!” dance/interaction, but instead they were huddled up, having a quiet discussion about Frankie's future with the studio. I guess white masks rarely make it there so early, so why not run an easier, alternate version of the scene? Soon enough, though, Alice asked Frankie if he wanted to meet the boss, and we were off.

Last time I tried to follow Alice down, I lost her completely due to a thick crowd, but this time it was just me and one other. I stuck to her like glue and saw that, on arriving in the basement, she disappeared in to her locked room just outside of the masonic temple. I followed her in and the other white mask tried to follow, but Alice quickly shoved the door closed after me. I thought for a moment I might have stumbled into a 1:1, but I was pretty sure it was supposed to happen after Frankie's initiation, not before. Instead, Alice began to strip down, completely oblivious to my presence. Just a tiny bit awkward. She put on the creepy old man suit for the initiation and pulled out a script (the one they would give Frankie after the initiation), laying it on the table. When she turned away to retrieve her mask, I leaned in to take a closer look at the script, and when I looked up at her, she fixed me with the most horrible, withering glare I have ever seen. I shrank down into a puddle. So much disgust in that look – I was sure that I was not supposed to have followed her in, and she hated me for bursting in and watching her change clothes uninvited. Or maybe it was just an Alice thing – it would be perfectly in character. No way to know for sure, but I felt pretty uneasy.

After the initiation, I followed her back to the room, confident that this time it would be okay to go in. I was the first one through the door after her, and she turned to me, fixed me with another glare, put her hand on my shoulder. . . . and pushed me back out the door, pulling the white mask behind me inside.

Yep. She hates me. And she is still utterly terrifying.

As usual, I didn't want to wait around, so I switched plans when I saw Frankie walk by. I'd never done his loop before, and he'd been a part of both scenes I had caught already, so I was kind of de facto following him anyway. Frankie is the most unappealing character for me in the show, outside of maybe Dwayne – and even then, it's a close call. This isn't a criticism; much of it seems to be by design. Carl's version in particular has this horrible, squealing laugh that's actually quite impressive, but also really unpleasant.

It's an interesting contrast to Faye's story, as they are mirrored characters. Where Faye can't get anyone to love her, Frankie spends his whole loop relentlessly pursued by Claude, who he effortlessly wraps around his little finger. In the end, Frankie seems to get everything he wants – but in a way that appears to only exist in his head, Ultimately, it leads to a breakdown, and his reset at the hands of the seamstress (Kathryn McGarr). This part was very interesting to me – I had no idea Frankie and the Seamstress had any sort of connection. She acted very protective and nurturing toward him – perhaps she's his mother? Of course, the surnames don't match (Gardner and Dove), but I've heard talk that maybe her name isn't what it seems to be, so who knows?

At this point, I decided to bail on Frankie, even though I hadn't made it back around to where I picked him up. I wasn't really connecting with him, and since it was just after reset time, I thought it would be a good point at which to pick up a new character and see their whole story in order, from the start. Instead of a new character, however, I found Conrad (Adam Burton), sitting in the seamstress's shop, changing into a black dress, stockings, a wig, and heels. This was perfect – the same performer from the previous show, at a point that must be only a few minutes after I had lost him. Time to see the rest of the loop.

Fully dressed up (and surprisingly effective in drag), Conrad wandered off to the saloon, where he flirted with Harry (James Sobol Kelly), Dwayne (Nicola Migliorati), and the Barman (Francois Testory). Throughout all of these interactions, I was never quite sure whether the people of the town were meant to think he was actually a woman, whether they were just playing along with him, or whether the guys are just into drag queens. I lean toward the middle option, because the vibe I get from most of the interactions could best be described as “good-natured fun,” but who can say for sure? Not long after that, William (Paul Zivkovich) and Mary (Sara Black) came in and Conrad hopped onstage to sing “You Can Never Go Home Again.” I was again struck by the comparison to the mirrored scene – in this case, Dolores's birthday party, which must have been going on at the same time, one floor below. All of these structural details are really cool once you start picking up on them.

Afterward, Conrad stripped out of his dress and wig and went for a walk through town in his underwear and stockings. Bold man. I, and about ten others, followed him into his motel room, where he suddenly took on a much more authoritative air and ordered two of the white masks to hold the doors shut. He sat on the bed and stretched out his stockinged, high heeled foot to a woman standing next to me. She looked at them quizzically, then stepped back. He looked at her for a moment, then pointed his leg at me.

Now, I have a rule – I never refuse interaction with a character. But I can't say I was super excited about helping him undress, either. Still, a rule is a rule, and I pulled off his shoe. Once that was done, he was kind enough to pull the stocking down to below his knee before asking me to pull it off, sparing me from having to reach up his thigh (much appreciated, Adam). After the same for the other leg, he jumped to his feet, and began a lecture (“Obedience is the first level”) while he put on a suit. Conrad seems to be a member of some sort of odd self-help, scientology-ish cult that is fixated on immortality, and this lecture was all about its teachings. . . but sadly, I can't remember any of it.

Now that Conrad was back in the form I remembered from the earlier show, he headed into the studio. Interestingly, he had to bribe the guard to get in – I would have thought he was already a part of things there. Was he somehow infiltrating them? Is that why they sent him to Studio 8? I'm still not sure. What I am sure about is that he took me in for a very cool 1:1 in his dressing room shortly after we arrived, which gave me some key insight into who he is. I swear, a surprising number of these 1:1s are not optional. If you don't see them, there's no way you'll really understand who some of these people are.

Next up was the magic act with Andrea (Miranda Mac Letten), which essentially marked the point where I picked him up at the start of show 7, even though the act didn't actually occur that time. I followed them in to Studio 3 to watch, and had a great time – it's a wonderful bit, even if I had to take my mask off and listen to people talk in the bar. As a side note, this was the first time I had ever seen Miranda without sleeves (she had only played the Drugstore Girl in September), and I feel the need to point out that she has tremendous upper arms for a woman of her size. Not at all in a bad way – they're well toned and feminine and all that – just, well, impressive.

After the magic act I stayed behind in the bar while the executives (Jo Bowis and Matthew Blake) performed a song. Now, I'm really interested in seeing what goes on in there. I know there's character stuff, and even 1:1s, but in the end, I just couldn't do it.   It felt like I was outside the show. One song and I was done – I had to put my mask back on and get out of there.

At that point, I was adrift again, but it didn't take long for me to find a new purpose - inside Studio 2, the Fool (Rob McNeill) was putting together his Woyzeck script/map. I wasn't particularly interested in doing a Fool loop at that point, but I knew he was only one scene away from meeting up with someone I did want to see: Lila (Kath Duggan). He met up with her in the sound studio for the always compelling drowning scene, which I had seen twice before - but this time I stuck with her when he left. Of course, the only new bit of business I got out of that was watching her change into her green dress and head the exec party/orgy, which I had, of course, seen many times before. After that, she headed into the office/tape recorder room for the “Lila's Discovery” scene, which was also a repeat for me, but one that I was much more interested in revisiting. Sadly, just as I stepped through the doorway, right behind her, I felt something catch in my throat, followed by an intense need to cough. I tried to do it quietly, but no help. Had to cough again. The scene got underway. I tried to choke it down. Stanford entered. A cough slipped out, then another one. Still needed to cough again. Son of a bitch.

I finally had to bail on the scene, rushing out to the hallway and eventually to the restrooms, where I gulped down a bit of water from the sink and finally felt normal again. It was kind of a low point for me – I was embarrassed that I had stayed in there so long, potentially disrupting the show for everyone else. I was disappointed that I had lost Lila before managing to catch anything (besides the dress change) that I hadn't seen yet. But there was nothing to be done about it – no time for regrets in Temple Studios. If I didn't suck it up and press forward, all that would come of it would be even more regrets.

So I headed upstairs to find Harry (James Sobol Kelly) and the new Faye (Natalia de Miguel Olaso) in the motel room. I watched about half of the scene, but it wasn't really working for me. I had already seen two Fayes that I flat-out adored (Sonya Cullingford and Katie Lusby), and Natalia, while not bad, just couldn't measure up to that high standard. So again, I bailed mid-scene. That was when I had a brainstorm. I still had no idea where Lila started the show, but I did know where she started the loop – in the desert, digging Miguel out of the sand. I rushed up and there she was, dancing with Miguel (Ed Warner) next to the dune. Excellent, crisis averted!

Lila's loop is an interesting one, but not particularly emotionally involving, at least for me. It's full of really cool set pieces, though, and it has a wonderful sense of motion to it, as Lila's journey into the bowels of the studio corresponds to an actual descent through the four floors of the show. I also have a much greater appreciation of Kath Duggan now – when I would periodically encounter her for a scene at a time, she never made much of an impression on me. Watching her for an extended period is another matter, as her warmth and fragility become much more apparent, even though there were only a handful of scenes that were actually new to me. I love her scene with Harry and her dance at the gates (during which her spinning flung sand all over me). The scene with the tape recorder, right after her table dance with Lila, is particularly chilling - although I wish the voice on the recorder wasn't so obviously an adult woman pretending to be a child.

My final moments with Lila involved watching her hop around the sound room, recording effects for the movie – which was just fun to watch. I love the process of moviemaking. When the fool arrived, however, I took my leave.

I had no real plan at that point, and no real time to execute one if I had. I headed upstairs and stumbled upon Andrea and Wendy (Sophie Bortolussi) in the dressing room, talking about the exec party. I stuck around to watch Wendy do her makeup for the party, because it was such a powerful moment when I followed her loop back in show 6. It was still tremendous – watching her face transform in the mirror from abject misery to (soon-to-be-shattered) hope is both magical and heartbreaking. I didn't want to go back to the orgy again, though, so I headed upstairs. There, in studio 5, I found Romola (Katie McGuinness) doing her scene with Conrad. I stuck with her through her makeup session for the car accident and her final encounter with the Doctor (James Finnemore), but rather than follow them down to the murder, I decided to see what the Seamstress would do. Turns out the answer is immediately disappear behind a locked door with another white mask.

I headed back downstairs, but just as I was about to walk into Studio 2, I noticed some commotion in the dressing room. It was Andrea, but all I got to see was about 30 seconds of her breakdown before she composed herself and grabbed Ben from the spoiler group for the finale. Completely out of time now, I rushed after them into Studio 2, caught the murder, then took the opportunity to position myself in the back for the big finale. I had never seen it from that perspective, always preferring to crowd the front of the stage – but it's actually the sort of number that really benefits from some distance. Such a huge tableaux, with so much going on – it was like watching it again for the first time. All in all, not my best show - a couple of missteps and too much time spent wandering uncertainly - but there were still plenty of bright spots. And the best was not only yet to come, but right around the corner. . .  



No comments: