Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Total Failure

I like movies. I like to make them. I like to watch them. Or so you’d think.

I just tallied up my movie viewing for this year. Here are the stats:


Total movies viewed: 93

Total movies viewed for the first time: 57

Total movies viewed for the first time that were not new releases (from 2007 or 2008): 21


Kind of sad, isn’t it? Quite a ways from my peak in 2005, where the three figures above were 253, 177, and 129, respectively. If I didn’t know better, I’d say my Netflix account was being wasted. Hmm. . . .come to think of it, I’m not sure I do know better.


Of the three figures, the one that most concerns me is the number of older movies I watched for the first time. My viewing of new theatrical releases is pretty consistent year-to-year (between 20-25 at the end of the year, which balloons up to 40-50 by the middle of the next) and rewatching things is just gravy, really. The ultimate goal is the exploration of the back catalogue of cinema. This year, I didn’t even average two new old movies per month. For the record, here are the 21, in order of preference:


Son of Frankenstein

Night of the Creeps

Little Children

La Jetee

Little Dieter Needs to Fly

Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation

Shane

The Emperor's New Groove

The Hudsucker Proxy

Child's Play

Marie Antoinette

Baraka

Isle of the Dead

The Fly (1958)

From a Whisper to a Scream

Strange Brew

The Old Dark House

Cover-up

Blood Sisters

Beneath Still Waters

Buio Omega


Nine of those (including most of the worst) were part of my typical October festivities. Six of them were movie club picks. One was a movie we watched in order to play the action movie card game. That leaves five movies that I just watched of my own accord - and one of them is only a half hour long. This will not do.


So here is my solution. I am hereby deciding to watch at least two older movies that I’ve never seen each week of 2009. To keep me honest, I’m going to write about them here. These may be full-blown reviews, or they may be single word entries. If I can keep this up, I’ll have seen 104 old movies by the end of the year, which will be much more like it. If I can't keep this up, then I am counting on all of you to mock and shame me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

too much video games man...

siberianluck said...

The above was me, I didn't realize my mom was still signed in to my comp00ter :-p